Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Interface Design - UI for Printer with Touch-based screen display



Being experienced in designing UI for music player, sometimes I asked would it be similar that I try to design for different hardware display UI? The above its a little assignment to design a new interface layout that took advantage of the touch-screen display. In this case, the hardware is a printer. As you may know today a home printer can do more than just printing graphics and documents. Some of the product range focus on making it home office equipement. Therefore being able to perform a task directly on the printer is crucial. e.g. copying documents/graphics or printing photos directly from inserted medias (e.g SD card) would be necessary without doing it through PC.

Having a display with touch-based technology indeed help to close this gap. The UI above uses tactile button design for key functions and took advantage of the big display. Overall the UI its tab-driven and colour tones were uses to group tasks. It also try to use familiar metaphors, e.g. for COPY mode - references UI from a actual documents copier. PHOTO mode - references UI from a actual digital camera.

Let me know your comments, if any.

1 comment:

BlackCookie said...

I like the idea of touchscreen but would that push cost up cuz the printers now are acffordable but I still think I won't spend too much on home printers cuz I'm a cheapo, I use office's printer.